Monday, March 26, 2012

Busted - a Story of Heartache and the NCAA Tournament

Awful, horrible, busted! Those are just a few words that describe what happened to my NCAA basketball brackets. It didn't take long either. After the 1st Round (officially the second, but who really counts those play-in games?) I realized I had no hope of winning. I was at the bottom of my office pool only barely hanging on above a co-workers children. Yes, my 10 minutes of effort on the morning of the tourney had failed me. My one shinning moment, almost predicting the biggest upset in NCAA tourney history. But alas, Syracuse hung on to beat UNC-Asheville. How sad is it that the best thing I can say about my bracket is that I almost predicted an upset? It is a cruel game we play.

We plunk down our money to purchase a bracket and even those very knowledgeable in the game rarely get it right. What hope do us casual fans who only follow college basketball when it comes to the tournament have? Truth is, probably the same as everyone else. After the first round only 2 out of 6 million brackets were correct in ESPN's Tournament Challenge, CBS had none. You would think out of all the people who enter, you would have a handful who get it right. The problem is its one and done. A team has one bad game, one bad half and it is over. The best team doesn't always win. No usually it's the luckiest team, the healthiest team, the hottest team. But that is what makes it great, you don't need to be an expert to win your bracket. People pick their brackets based on mascots, schools religious affiliation, attractiveness of schools co-eds, school colors. It doesn't matter. No matter how many times we fail we come back and do it again.  For the record, the co-workers children are now ahead of me.  Oh well, there is always next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment